The Tune-Up team starts by reading into the opportunity's acquisition documentation. The next step is an in-depth interview session with the customer's capture team (i.e., the opportunity Capture Manager, senior capture team members, and the pricing team). The capture team should kick things off by providing a high-level overview of the Opportunity Environment
and a sketch of the Strategic Pricing Plan
much as they would for an internal management review. The overview should:
- Describe the acquiring customer and the project's background [10 follow-up questions]; and
- Describe the project's purpose and work environment. [5 follow-up questions]
This walk-through is followed by the Tune-Up team asking relevant questions within the representative major issue areas presented below. Questions related to each issue area are designed to pin point precisely what pricing strategies could and should be included, and how each strategy should be implemented in the pricing strategy and, by inference, what isn't included that has potential to improve price positioning.
- 1. General Issues includes the following types of questioning:
- How did the contract/task order type inform capture strategy? [15 follow-up questions];
- What is the capture strategy and vision that describes how the opportunity will be captured? [5 follow-up questions];
- How will the capture strategy be conveyed to Operations post-award? [10 follow-up questions]...
- 2. Labor-Related Issues includes 17 questions and over 100 follow-up questions, such as:
- How were the levels of effort that are not prescribed developed or determined? [20 follow-up questions]...
- 3. Subcontracting Issues includes 8 questions and over 65 follow-up questions, such as:
- What is the subcontracting strategy, why was it chosen, and how does its intensity change over time? [10 follow-up questions]...
- 4. Other Direct Cost (ODC) Issues includes 12 questions and over 90 follow-up questions, such as:
- How were CY1 ODC prices that are not plug numbers developed? [15 follow-up questions]...
- 5. Gaming & Other Price Reduction Opportunities includes 9 questions and over 75 follow-up questions, such as:
- What cost avoidance potential has been identified that can be offset against project costs? [20 follow-up questions]...